Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Transferred!


 District Photo
Transfers were this week and I am being transferred in the same zone but a different district.  It is Neumunster and is actually a larger city with a population of about 77,000 which is relatively small but big, compared to my last two areas.  It is only 40 minutes away.  That means it is my 3rd area in this zone and stake!  I have visited every area in this zone except one, so maybe that will be my last area!  And my new companion, Elder Anderson, is going home in 2 transfers which means I will probably kill him in mission talk!  My companion here, Elder Partridge, is staying and getting Elder Schmalz and they are learning Arabic together.

To be honest I was pretty mad when I found out I was being transferred and still staying in this zone.  I really wanted to leave this zone and this area because it hasn't been the most enjoyable experience for me.  My dream would have been to go to the opposite side of the mission as far away from here as possible.

On Saturday, right after transfer calls we went to a baptism for an investigator in Altona and that was really cool.  His name is Farshid and this guy is amazing.  He left his home, family, job, and everything else to become a Christian, even if it meant staying in refugee camps.  I was so excited that I finally got to meet him!  The Altona sisters and my companion have been talking about him for forever and it was a really cool experience.  After I left the baptism, I felt spiritually uplifted and felt comforted that God really does lead us and guide us.

Any missionary knows that the prayers after transfer calls are full of questions and pouring out your soul to God about your new area, companion, and the people there.  But I had a really cool experience that I wanted to share.  As I was praying, I asked the Lord why I am being transferred and staying in my least favorite zone and not being able to go to different cities like I always wanted to, or at least get out of the north.  I waited for a little bit, and then it hit me. I heard the words from my favorite Mormon Message, "I'm the gardener here, and I know what I want from you".  And then I felt comforted and felt peace.  I turned from frustrated to thankful that the Lord doesn't always give me what I want, but what I need, to grow to become the instrument he wants me to be.  Now I am actually feeling good about it and I think there is definitely something for me here in the north.

Sunday was really hard.  While this area has been hard, this ward had been one of the best wards that I have been to.  I almost cried in church for the 2nd time on my mission, but thankfully I didn't because the Stake President was there and he is in the Neumunster Ward so that would have been embarrassing.  But it also hit me that the Lord loves me and he is keeping me in this zone so that I can see all of these wonderful members again at stake conference and other meetings.

Aside from that we did a lot with the members this week.  We talked to some new converts about the temple and that was really good.  I hope everyone has a great week!

Elder Spangenberg

These are a couple of really cool youth members in  Pinneberg


No comments:

Post a Comment